Status Update: Reading about Paging

Coordinator
Feb 6, 2012 at 11:26 PM

I am a novice when it comes to directory management. I only heard of Active Directory in far off conversations and but hadn't explored it. (So many other things to learn, ya?)

So, of course, never having touched Active Directory, I certainly did not know how to interact with a directory service dynamically. At the moment, the demo projects only showcase object to LDAP mapping and adding/removing users from a group.

My next goal is to demonstrate Paging, which I know very little about. I understand it to be like an online store that has a max amount of items they will list on a single page, so you would have to click "Next" to see more items. On that analogy, I have some ideas of how to implement that... but none of them rely on the LINQ to LDAP services--so I'll be reading up on that.

I found a reference to S.DS.P on the MadHatter's Paging documentation and had no clue what that was. My google search for S.DS.P turned up this handy resource: Introduction to System.DirectoryServices.Protocol

I haven't read all of it yet but I am hopeful to gain some valuable knowledge :)

Coordinator
Feb 11, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Well after reading Introduction to System.DirectoryServices.Protocol, I definitely have a deeper appreciate for LINQ to LDAP! This was a dry and repetitive read but informative. By the time I reached example #12, my eyes started bleeding and I had to continue reading in short spurts. The section about Advanced LDAP Server Connection and Session Options was lost on me--another lesson for another day, if necessary.

The author of this white paper references The .NET Developer's Guide to Identity a lot.

One step closer to Paging :)

Coordinator
Feb 12, 2012 at 8:07 PM

I found the following in MadHatter's Paging documentation:

"If you know that the LDAP server you're using will work with backwards paging..."

Being a LDAP newbie, my first thought was "There are different LDAP servers?!" I did wonder a while back how non .Net dev environments account for or replicate LDAP for their systems, but didn't chase that rabbit.

So I was forced to see what all LDAP server options are out there. This was the most detailed I could find: http://www.openldap.org/faq/data/cache/267.html

For now, I have no interest in exploring other LDAP servers but I'd like to take this opportunity to repeat that I am using Active Directory Lightweight Directory Services (AD LDS).